Anne Sawyer Recipes
Devil’s Food Cake with Heavenly Vanilla Sauce
From Grandmother Anne DeLaittre (neé Anna Karina Hegg)
This is another family recipe that my Mom makes on special occasions. Her Mother used to make it, back in the day when people didn’t worry about cholesterol. It’s very rich, but oh so lovely. It takes an ordinary boxed cake, and turns it into an old-school Epicurean delight.
• Boxed Devil’s Food Cake (I like Duncan Hines)
•1 cup water
•1/3 cup vegetable oil
•3 large eggs
Warm Vanilla Sauce:
•1/3 cup butter
•1 cup sugar
•1 tsp vanilla
•3/4 cup of cream or half & half
1) Bake cake according to directions on box. Set aside to cool.
2) In a small sauce pan, combine butter, creamed with sugar.
3) Add the cream (or half & half) and bring to a boil for a few minutes.
4) Add the vanilla.
5) Serve the sauce warm over the Devil’s Food cake.
The vanilla sauce keeps well in the fridge for a few days, so no need to commit the sin of extreme gluttony – a little dab’ll do you. Bon appetit!